top of page
  • Writer's pictureBill Raines

Cause of Fire Released in Oak Street Blaze

MITCHELL - (February 4, 2022) - The cause of fire has been released in the Oak Street house fire Thursday night.

According to Mitchell Volunteer Fire Department Assistant Fire Chief Wayne Coble an electrical issue in the attic is suspected in sparking the blaze in the 400 block of Oak Street.

At 6;38 p.m. a 911 call reporting the fire in the attic of the home. Firefighters from Mitchell and Marion Township Volunteer Fire Department arrived to find the home already fully involved.

The residence was owned by Crews Properties, was completely destroyed by the fire. The occupants were able to stay with relatives in Orleans.


Firefighters' efforts were hampered by falling snow, and temperatures of 21 degrees.

The fire rekindled at 2:56 a.m. Friday morning, and firefighters were dispatched again around 10:56 a.m. Friday morning for rekindles.

Tabernacle of Praise Emergency Services Unit responded to the scene to provide coffee and refreshments to emergency crews. Because businesses were closed due to the weather, Ray Christy made the coffee from home.

A proud sponsor of the Lawrence County Zephyr

Assisting firefighters were Mitchell Police Department, TOPES, and Seals Ambulance Crews.

For breaking news, news and information subscribe to To learn more about advertising opportunities email

1,518 views1 comment

1 comentario

Paul Gillespie
Paul Gillespie
05 feb 2022

Thanks for coming out and braving the weather with us!

Me gusta
bottom of page