top of page
  • Writer's pictureBill Raines

Accident with woodstove to blame for large garage fire near Springville Thanksgiving Day

SPRINGVILLE - NOVEMBER 24, 2023 - A gas can close to a wood stove is what is believed to be the cause of a large garage fire Thanksgiving Day.


Photo: Firefighters from Perry, Marshall, Shawswick and Oolitic Volunteer Fire Departments fought a large garage fire on Spencer Pike Road Thanksgiving evening


According to Perry Township Fire Chief Jessica Voorhies an accident with a wood stove caused the massive fire that started around 6:15 pm Thursday.



Firefighters from Perry Township and Marshall Township Volunteer Fire Departments was first alerted to the fire located in the 1800 Spencer Pike Road.



Thick black smoke from the fire could be seen for several miles as the garage sit on a hill north of Springville.



Additional fire departments from Indian Creek Twp., Town of Oolitic and Shawswick Twp. was dispatched to send tankers and manpower.


Water pressure for North Lawrence Water Corporation customers were reduced as several gallons of water was used to bring the fire under control.


Tankers used a fire hydrant in Springville to shuttle water to a dump tank at the fire scene to keep firefighting efforts going without interuption.


Photo: Firefighters was able to keep the fire from consuming a mobile trailer


Firefighters was able to keep a mobile trailer from being consumed by the fire, however it suffered fire damage.


Several vehicles that were kept inside and the garage was a total loss.


There were no injuries reported as IU Lifeline Ambulance was on scene to assist fire crews.


For breaking news, and information go to lczephyr.org or like/follow the Lawrence County Zephyr Facebook page.


ADVERTISEMENTS


American Rental Black Friday Sale Friday and Saturday 1416 James Avenue Bedford, Indiana




Need emergency repair call Quality











959 views0 comments
bottom of page