top of page
  • Writer's pictureBill Raines

Woods stove to blame for garage fire East of Mitchell Sunday night

MITCHELL - FEBRUARY 4, 2024 - Fire crews from Marion Township, City of Mitchell and Huron Volunteer Fire Departments, and Lawrence County Fire Territory were dispatched to a garage fire at 5:13 pm Sunday night.


Photo: A garage owned by Charlie Pierce including a 1988 Cadillac that was being restored by Pierce was destroyed in a fire Sunday evening


Several neighbors heard explosions at the time of the fire as several propane tanks were inside the building.


" We believe a wood stove is to blame for this fire," said Fire Chief Paul Gillespie Marion Township Volunteer Fire Department.



Firefighters were on the scene until about 7:30 pm. No injuries were reported.


Pierce was devasted to loose the Cadillac but glad no was hurt fighting the fire. Sunday nights fire was the second structure fire both Marion Township and City of Mitchell responded to in a 12 hour period.


Emergency crews responded to three structure fires in Lawrence County on Sunday.



Fire officials want residents to check their batteries in their smoke detectors.


Information on all of today's fires is on lczephyr.org.


For breaking news and information go to lczephyr.org or like/follow the Lawrence County Zephyr Facebook page.


ADVERTISEMENTS










Located at 1416 James Avenue Bedford, Indiana

603 views0 comments

Comments


bottom of page