• Bill Raines

Woman and Two Children Escape Mobile Home Fire Monday Morning

By: Bill Raines

Lawrence County Zephyr


HURON - ( November 22, 2021) - A Mitchell woman and her two children escaped from a mobile home fire early this morning in the 700 block of Grandview Road.


The call reporting the fire came into Lawrence County Central Dispatch at 7:42 a.m.

The woman along with their two children eight- months old and four- year- old boy was able to get out of the mobile home safely.

The father Christopher Johnson was at work when the fire broke out arrived on the scene later.


A Seals Ambulance crew checked out the woman and her child for smoke inhalation at the scene. There were no injuries to report.


The couple embraced themselves and tears flowed from both the couple thankful that everyone was safe.


" I just want make sure my wife, children and our dogs made it out safe," said Christopher Johnson.


Huron Fire Chief Bill Kinser who arrived on scene first stated that he was not able to get the dogs out of the fire. " I was able to get the propane tank that sat closed to the home shut off, as well as the electricity," said Kinser.


Kinser believes at this point a space heater may have been the cause of the fire.

Kinser reminds homeowners to be sure to follow all safety guideline and manufactural instructions when using heating equipment this winter season.


Normally, this time of year the fire departments see an increase in fires due to improper use or failing to follow fire prevention measure when heating homes this winter season.

The home owner had insurance on the mobile home, however the couple who was renting did not have any renters insurance.


Huron and Indian Creek firefighters were still on the scene at 10:30 a.m. trying to get the fire completely out. The mobile home had fire throughout the structure and reaching the hot spots of the fire was challenging to firefighters.



The couple lost everything in the fire.

7 views0 comments