• Bill Raines

One Person Suffers Smoke Inhalation at Cambridge Square Apartment Fire

Updated: Aug 24

aBEDFORD - AUGUST 24, 2022 - Bedford Firefighters were able to get a fire at Cambridge Square Apartments 2004 Cambridge Square Drive quickly under control Wednesday afternoon.

Bedford firefighters quickly respond to a fire at Cambridge Apartments Wednesday afternoon

The fire was reported at 1:50 p.m. with firefighters from all three stations responding to the fire.

Upon arrival firefighters found heavy smoke in one apartment which was caused by a cooking fire. The resident of that apartment was transported to the hospital by IU Lifeline Ambulance Service suffering from smoke inhalation.

Firefighters immediately, went to each apartment to make sure they were all out and evacuated while firefighters worked to get the blaze under extinguished.

The apartments surrounding the fire that caught fire suffered smoke and heat damage. " We were told we could not return to our apartment until about 5:30 p.m.," one resident told the Lawrence County Zephyr.

" The maintenance and management team of the apartment complex were very helpful. They made sure that anything we needed was taken care of," said Bedford Fire Chief John Hughes.

The Bedford Police Department assisted firefighters in traffic control. " We want to thank the Bedford Police Department in helping us today,"

Firefighters remained on the scene until 3:55 p.m. responding with 11 firefighters, one rescue truck, one ladder truck, two engines, and two support vehicles. The fire chief and fire investigator also responded to the incident.

Duke Energy was called to assist with power at the building.

" Smoke detectors did operate properly and alerted the tenant quickly of the fire. We cannot stress enough the importance of smoke detectors," said Chief Hughes.

Smoke detectors have done their job in two structure fires over the last couple days according to fire officials.

For breaking news, news and information subscribe to lczephyr.org or follow us on Facebook.

488 views0 comments