top of page
  • Writer's pictureBill Raines

One Person Dies in Woodland Springs Apartment Fire

BLOOMINGTON - (March 30,2022) - Monroe Fire Protection District was called to 2911 S Leonard Springs Rd Tuesday night just before 10:03 p.m. for a structure fire.




Dispatch received a call from an individual stating they saw smoke coming from the

building. Additional calls came in from people across the street at a local laundry mat

stating they see smoke and flames coming from the apartment complex. Dispatch also

received phone calls from residents saying they were attempting to evacuate people in the

other apartments.




Monroe Fire District units arrived on scene to find heavy fire coming from the southeast

corner of the apartment complex. Firefighters and law enforcement officers began knocking

on doors or forcing entry into apartments to evacuate residents as other firefighter's drug

hose lines up to the second floor and began extinguishing the fire.


As additional firefighters arrived on scene they assisted with fire suppression and conducting searches of the apartments. Unfortunately, during their search firefighters found one resident deceased in the apartment where the fire started. Additional searches of apartments located several cats and dogs. One cat was pulled out and given oxygen and appeared to recover.

The other animals were later reunited with their owners.



Additional manpower and apparatus from Bloomington City Fire Department were requested to respond to the scene. Ladder trucks from both departments were set up at the edges of the fire to provide a defensive stop on the fire that was spreading across the attic and roof.



Firefighters inside the building were pulled out of the apartments while a master stream

from the ladder truck was used to suppress a large volume of fire. Firefighters were then

able to mark the fire under control and begin salvage and overhaul operations.



Firefighters reminded on scene for a few more hours making sure all hot spots were

extinguished and to conduct a fire investigation.


The State Fire Marshall’s Office was contacted for the investigation as required when there is a fatality fire.


Once the investigation was completed the Monroe County Coroner completed their investigation and removed the body of the deceased.


The cause of the fire was found to be accidental, from unattended cooking in the kitchen.


For breaking news, news and information subscribe lczephyr.org or follow us on Facebook.


ADVERTISEMENT



296 views0 comments

Comments


bottom of page