MAIN STREET MITCHELL EVACUATED AFTER ANTIQUE MALL BUILDING COLLAPSE AND GAS LEAK
MITCHELL - DECEMBER 7, 2022 - Updated: A evacuation took place following the building collapse of the in the area of the Railroad Cafe and Antique Mall a gas leak following. The incident was reported just after 7:00 a.m. this morning. The original 911 call reporting a gas leak in the area of the Railroad Cafe.
CenterPoint Gas Company is on the scene securing the gas leak. According to officials the Antique Mall had a building collapse earlier this morning damaging at least two meters, due to the high level of the gas leak and explosive potential the area was evacuated. Crews are first addressing the gas leak, then crews will work towards securing the building collapse.
There were no injuries reported at this time.
Current photo of the building collapse in the area of Anitque Mall and Railroad Cafe
Mitchell Police, Mitchell Fire, Marion Township Volunteer Fire and CenterPoint Gas Company and Duke Energy has Warren Street from the railroad tracks to 8th Street closed, and Main Street from the same location.
Concerns over the structure integrity of the building was expressed over the last year, according to officials familiar with the location.
Previous photo sent to Lawrence County Zephyr two weeks ago before the collapse
A structure engineer was supposed to evaluate the building at a future time. A backhoe from CenterPoint Energy has just arrived on the scene at 8:30 a.m.
At this time, it is no known how long the closures to the downtown business areas and road closure will take place.
When more information becomes available, we will let you know.
HOOSIER DADDIES COLLECTIBLES 1125 16TH STREET BEDFORD, INDIANA