MITCHELL - FEBRUARY 10, 2024 - A garage fire quickly moved into a residence Saturday afternoon around 3:15 pm the residence a total loss.
No one was injured in the fire.
Photo: Firefighters try to get a residence fire under control however winds pushed the fire into the home
According to a person who was going by the residence the fire began when a lawnmower caught fire.
" The occupants was already on the porch when I got to the home. The homeowner had knee surgery which made it difficult for her to be mobile and was assisted by family members who were at the residence when the fire erupted," Jonathan Jones of Mitchell who was passing by the residence and seen the smoke.
" The fire started when a lawn mower was pulled into the garage and caught fire, then a nearby vehicle and then on to the residence," add Jones.
Firefighters from Marion Township Volunteer Fire Department and Shawswick Township was first alerted about the fire around 3:05 pm and then Mitchell City Volunteer Fire Department was alerted to bring an engine.
Later the Huron Volunteer Fire Department was alerted to send manpower and trucks, and a call out for more manpower.
The fire could be seen from Mitchell Road in Bedford with thick black smoke billowing from the residence.
The firefighters was still shuttling water to the scene using tankers from a fire hydrant using several thousand gallons of water at 4:43 pm.
A strong westerly wind pushed the fire into the residence and made the firefighting difficult.
At this time the Lawrence County Zephyr has not talked to the Marion Township VFD incident commander for any official information. Fire personnel was working the fire scene at the time of this report.
For breaking news and information go to lczephyr.org or like/follow the Lawrence County Zephyr page.
Fee-Holiness Church 11122 Indiana State 54 Cincinnati, Indiana