Family Dog Perishes in Residential Fire on Moore Lane
SPRINGVILLE - (December 9, 2021) - A family dog about six-months-old perished in a afternoon residential fire in the 100 block of Moore Lane.
Thick black smoke was inside the residence, after a family arrived home to find smoke inside the home
Tasha Morand just arrived after a family trip to the children's museum in Indianapolis to find their home filled with smoke. Reporting that a heat lamp from an aquarium may have started the blaze.
Morand called 911 around 1:10 p.m. with firefighters from Perry Township Volunteer Fire Department and Marshall Township Volunteer Fire Departments responding to the fire.
The family dog Autumn was quickly rescued from the home by Marshall Township firefighters making their way through thick black smoke, but the dog was already perished in the fire.
First arriving fire unit from Marshall Township Volunteer Fire Department
Tasha was overwhelmed with grief with her children sitting in their vehicle as firefighters carried out the family pet.
" We have insurance, but at this time no place to stay. Hopefully our insurance company can put us up for the evening," said Zachary Morand who was at work at the time of the fire.
The Morand have four children 2, 4, 6, 7 years of age. The Morand's have no relatives locally to help the family.
Firefighters just come out of a residential fire in the 100 block of Moore Lane Thursday afternoon
Firefighters from the Marshall Township Volunteer Fire Department believe the fire may have started near the furnace.
Perry Township Captain Max Peters who lived a short distance away used a garden hose to help fight the fire until Marshall Township VFD could arrive with fire equipment.
Oolitic Volunteer firefighters were summoned to the scene but was cancelled enroute to the fire scene. A Seals Ambulance crew stood by while firefighters fought the fire.
Firefighters were still on the scene at 2:45 p.m. making sure the fire was completely out.