top of page
  • Writer's pictureBill Raines

Chimney Fire Spreads into House Fire Friday night

MONROE COUNTY - MARCH 11, 2023 - On Friday night March 10th, 2023, just before 10:00 pm Monroe Fire Protection District responded to the 9700 block of South Snow Road for a chimney fire.



Photos: Courtsey of Monroe Fire Protection District


While units were still responding to the scene a water tender from Center- Jackson Fire Territory in Greene County was requested to assist with water supply due to the very rural location of the fire.


Monroe Fire Protection District's Engine 23 and Engine 39 arrived on scene and found visible fire coming from the corner of the house and spreading quickly.



Firefighters stretched a hose line to the corner of the house slowing the spread of fire on the outside while additional firefighters deployed hoses into the house for fire attack.


The fire had spread up the corner of the house and into the attic space. Crews pulled drywall down from the ceiling throughout the house to expose hidden fire spots in the attic. This was made difficult due to the high cathedral style ceilings in most of the home.


Eventually firefighters were able to stop the fire spread and contain it to the attic space.


After the fire was knocked down crews began conducting salvage and overhaul operations.


During this operation firefighters kept getting high temperature readings and finding small fires in the cellulose insulation in the attic.


Cellulose insulation is known to trap heat and eventually start secondary fires, possibly hours later causing even more damage.


Firefighters decided to remove the remaining drywall and cellulose insulation in the attic to prevent additional fires, which created a larger mess inside the home.


Crews remained on the scene for several hours shoveling out the insulation debris throughout the home and attempting to locate items of importance for the homeowners. The American Red Cross was contacted to assist the homeowners with shelter and other items they might need.


The homeowners were home at the time of the fire and reported starting an fire in the fireplace earlier in the day and then began smelling something burning later in the evening.


When they went to investigate the burning smell, they noticed a smoky haze in the upstairs of the home and then saw fire coming out the side of the house. They called 911 and safely exited the home before firefighters arrived on the scene.


The cause of the fire was ruled accidental, and no injuries were reported.


Engines 23, 39, 21, 29, 22, Battalions 22 and 29, Chief 23, and Center-Jackson Fire Territory Tender 2 responded to the fire. Additional assistance on scene provided by IU Lifeline Ambulance, REMC, and the Red Cross.


For breaking news, news and information go to lczephyr.org or like/follow us on Lawrence County Zephyr Facebook page.


ADVERTISEMENT



With over 793,000 views over the last year, one the Lawrence County Zephyr with over 100,000 views each month on the latest breaking news and information. Find out how to advertise here. email braines@lczephyr.net

469 views0 comments
bottom of page